Monday, June 18, 2012

I miss you, Daddy.

If my Dad were alive, he would be 100 years old today.  He was only 53 when he passed on, and I was just a teenager.  He is the reason I was able to be in the Home.  He was a disabled war veteran and had been stationed at Wright Pat for a number of years.  He couldn't work much, but often he would get a part time job selling cars, but his health would not allow him to work very long.  I remember him getting up very early in the morning, getting his coffee and whatever he was reading...the morning paper, readers digest etc. and waiting at the table until everyone else got up.


I don't remember a whole lot about my childhood, but I do remember my Dad.  I remember when I was small, and if I was scared or hurt, or not feeling well, I could climb up in my dad's big lap and cuddle up and typically fall asleep.  He wasn't a tall man, I believe only about 5'9" but he was a rather big man with a balding head.  He used to have these 3 little hairs as he called them that he would comb over his bald spot!  Today, I laugh about it.
Once, I remember, he was driving the local School bus...and the children were getting rowdy, he had hollered back for them to quiet down and they didn't.  He stopped the bus right there, got up, and walked to the back giving everyone 'the eye'.  Walked back up front, calmly sat down, and started driving again.  Then he looked in the rear view mirror, caught my eye, and winked.  You could have heard a pin drop for the rest of the ride to school.
Over the years, there were several times that his birthday and Father's Day would fall on the same day or very close.  I miss you, Daddy.  Happy Birthday, and Happy Father's Day.

This posting was contributed by L. Stout Smith, a  member of my OSSO/OVCH family.

Thank you so much for your comment at Scarlett Rains Sisters of the Hearts Blog. Every comment is read and appreciated.
Don't forget to subscribe either by RSS feed 
or by email . Hope to see you again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Folks who are kind enough to nominate me for blog awards and such, thank you so much, but...please, don't. I barely have time to comb my hair. :)


Blessings,
Scarlett