Monday, July 16, 2012

Stop Watching Your Mouse Play Dead....Learn How to Kick Writer's Block to the Curb!

Are  all your pencils gnawed to bits? Have your pens all run dry? Is sweat dripping from your brow as you stare at 72 pixels of blank screen? Are words banging away at the confines of your head, begging for release? Well, let them out! Try these suggestions from fellow writers, kick writer's block to the curb and write...write...write!

"Maybe my characters are tired and need a break. I could work on something new and get refreshed and ready to hit this one again with gusto!"    Linda Rae Blair, Author

"After all we need to have some reason to return to face that blank screen. Or, prehaps, the burning desire to discover what's next is sufficient." 


  • "A story is organic, you can't force it otherwise it ends up stilted and unnatural. Give it time, take a break."  Freya Pickard
  • "I have struggled to put pen to paper for months. Finally, I decided to start my blog - last ditch attempt to reignite that fire. It has certainly worked for me! After writing a few posts on my blog, I felt inspired enough to write a story." Karen
  • "I just take a break for a few hours and do something else." Scarlett Rains, Author
  • "Honestly another way that I try to overcome the writer's block in plotting is to just doodle." S.D. Lewis
  • "If I was worried about structure and construction and all those other things, I'm sure my creativity would take a hit as I was constantly worrying about whether or not I was following the proper method!" Kelly
  • "Too much planning would ruin the process for me. I cannot try to come up with the story because it only comes through me." Lucy
  • "I never plan I just start writing. let me fingers do the writing and my imagination convey what it is in need to convey."Mysterious 
  • "The act of boiling down a huge opus into a succinct synopsis or back matter blurb takes objectivity and TIME. Time away from the work. I like to let it sit for 2-3 wks then read it fresh and then write the odious synopsis/summary and let others review it (who have read the bk) and have them help me revise it. It works better that way and takes the pressure off." The Notebook Blogairy 
  • "I find that just leaving the book alone entirely helps to re-center my focus so that as I'm giving my book the chance to grow and twist and turn and try to take a life of its own, that I keep it on track and I don't end up with something way off base as to what I was trying to write in the first place." S.D. Lewis 
  • "Writer's block is akin to stage fright, the unwanted internal dialogue that stifles creativity, and the more you get into your head about it, the worse it gets. Forcing yourself to flow through as if you were in front of live audience is a skill that any writer can learn. Improvising stories for local children is a great way to develop this skill." D. M. Kenyon

18 comments:

  1. Thank you for including my words among this wisdom. All the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted to include you. I respect your work.
      Blessings.

      Delete
  2. Aren't we writers just a wise bunch of folk? We welcome those voices to come back into our heads, whilst others take meds to avoid them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meds wouldn't hurt me from time-to-time. :) I'm a fan of yours and appreciate you stopping in.

      Delete
  3. Hi Scarlett,
    Love this!!! Especially the one that says "too much planning" would basically ruin everything! It's good to go out on a limb and see where the branches take you.
    Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I know I've so much to learn and, luckily, am surrounded by kind and gifted writers.

      Delete
  4. I need to bookmark this page for future reference when I get stuck! And thank you for quoting me, I am flattered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy. It never hurts to have a 'go-to' bud when you get stuck. :) Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  5. Scartlett-
    Your post here made me smile, I have been writing a phd thesis for months now and while it doesn't have an "organic plot" like the fiction you are mostly talking about, the basic idea is the same. We just have to slog through, giving our minds a chance to do their magic. I came here through Book Blogs where you left your link, thanks for being so welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jesse. Wow! Have you pulled out all of your hair yet? Writing a thesis can make you want to snatch yourself (or someone else) baldheaded. :) You are right, perseverance is the answer.
      Best of luck to you.
      Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  6. Hi Scarlett,
    These are some great quotes!
    Thanks for commenting on my new Book Blogs page. I'm following your blog now. :)

    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nightingale/157095704391800
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/mmickelsen
    Blog: http://melissamickelsen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa. Thank you. I have so much respect for my fellow authors. They gave good advice.
      It's nice to connect with you.

      Delete
  7. Hey, I commented on Book Blogs, but I also wanted to comment here. I'm following your blog and your Twitter, and I liked your Facebook page.

    Blogs:
    http://thisxgirlxreads.blogspot.com
    http://www.coverxtoxcover.blogspot.com

    Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/#!/thisgirlreads_

    Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/This-Girl-Reads/194125580700491
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cover-to-Cover/135188506610811

    That's some really great advice. I'm just a blogger now, but what I really want to do is write. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheyenne ( I love ypur name!). Thanks for stopping in and providing your links.
      It is important to build relationships with other writers and learn to network. It helps to have people to bounce ideas off of, doesn't it? Writers are a great group.

      Delete
  8. Good advice, thank you
    Sorry to put this in such an odd place, but I have nominated you for a sunshine Blog Award.

    http://sadieforsythe.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadie, thak you so much for coming by. I'm flattered. I'm not sure what a Sunshine Blog Award is but it sounds awfully nice. :) I'm a newbie to this.

      Delete
  9. Hi Scarlett! Thanks for your message. I've subscribed to your blog just now. You can follow my blog by email if you like on http://sonyasolo.wordpress.com
    Twitter: @sonyasolo
    Cheers,
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How great that you stopped by. I love to connect with friends. :)

      Delete

Folks who are kind enough to nominate me for blog awards and such, thank you so much, but...please, don't. I barely have time to comb my hair. :)


Blessings,
Scarlett